Posts for tag: Gingivitis
What your dentist in Boynton Beach, FL wants you to know about gum disease
If you look at your gums and they appear red and inflamed, you have gingivitis. Gingivitis is inflammation of your gum tissue, and it is often an early sign of gum disease. Fortunately, you can do a lot to both prevent and eliminate gingivitis. Dr. Peter Silberstein at Your Beautiful Smile in Boynton Beach, FL wants to share the facts about gingivitis.
Gingivitis is very common. You can get gum inflammation from certain foods if you are allergic to them, and highly acidic foods can also irritate your gums. The most common cause of gingivitis is poor oral hygiene.
When you don’t brush and floss often enough, the plaque in your mouth is allowed to sit, and millions of harmful bacteria in the plaque go to work. These bacteria produce toxins that can irritate, inflame, and infect healthy gum tissue, giving you gingivitis.
You may have gingivitis if you notice:
- Redness and swelling in your gums
- Pain in your gums when you brush, floss or chew
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Chronic bad breath and a sour taste in your mouth
Fortunately, gingivitis can be reversed. You can have healthy gums again by following an excellent oral hygiene program, which should include:
- Brushing after each meal and before you go to bed; use a soft-bristled toothbrush with fluoride toothpaste and gently brush in a circular motion. Brush the surfaces of all teeth and along the gumline. Many people prefer a sonic or electric toothbrush to manual brushing.
- Floss at least once each day; use a single piece of floss and wrap around the widest part of each tooth as you floss in between your teeth. The wrapping technique helps to keep the floss against the surfaces of your teeth. Floss picks are helpful if you have dexterity problems or arthritis.
Dr. Silberstein and his highly skilled staff want to help you fight gingivitis, so it’s important to schedule a dental exam yearly and a professional dental cleaning once every six months to ensure the health of your gums, teeth, and supporting bone and avoid gum disease.
For more information about gingivitis and other dental issues, treatment, and services call Dr. Peter Silberstein at Your Beautiful Smile in Boynton Beach, FL. Keep your smile healthy by calling today!