Posts for: May, 2018
Are your teeth causing you pain?
Your Boynton Beach, FL, dentist, Dr. Peter Silberstein, helps with root canal therapy. Most people are afraid of root canal treatments because of the myth that they cause pain.
Root Canal Therapy:
Root canals are Endodontic treatments that deal with pain you already feel. Sometimes the pain can go away on its own, but a root canal may still be necessary.
If the pulp of your tooth develops an infection or becomes inflamed, you'll need your doctor to go in, clean and disinfect the pulp, seal the canal and place a crown that matches the rest of your teeth.
Symptoms indicating that you may need a root canal include:
- Prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- Tenderness to touch and chewing
- Discoloration of the tooth
There are several reasons why your tooth may have been infected. Here are a few reasons why:
- Poor oral or dental regimen may lead to cavities. Cavities occur when a person eats sugary foods and doesn't brush or floss.
- Accumulation of plaque, which contains an acid-producing bacteria that breaks down tooth enamel, a protective layer covering your teeth, which is also due to poor oral hygiene.
- Exposure of sensitive layers of the tooth, like cracks or chips, due to trauma, from sports to vehicle, that allows bacteria to infect the pulp unless the cavity is dealt with immediately.
Getting a root canal can be an important procedure for keeping your damaged tooth healthy. There's no need to be worried about a painful procedure because dentistry is more advanced today than it used to be! For more information or to schedule an appointment for a root canal or another treatment, call your Boynton Beach, FL, dentist, Dr. Peter Silberstein at 561-459-1600.